Finding employees for your business can be tough. The market is competitive and there are a lot of qualified candidates to choose from. However, if you know what you’re looking for, it’s easier than ever before to find the right person for the job. To help, we’ll discuss how you can use three different platforms to find new hires that will help increase productivity in your company and provide more value to clients.
What does the hiring process look like?
The hiring process is often complicated and time-consuming, but not without its benefits. It allows you to vet candidates for potential skills and experience that would be a good fit for the role they will fill. Here are steps that are usually taken:
- Identify the need. Figure out the job title, duties, requirements, and skills needed to complete daily tasks. If there are several open positions, you might consider merging job roles, or perhaps the company is growing so much that multiple people are needed in the same role.
- Craft a job description. With the job defined, create a clear job description that you can use as a job ad.
- Post the job online. This is where job search engines come in. These platforms are the perfect resources for employers looking to find qualified people who are searching for jobs. Which platform should you use? A good platform can source qualified candidates, so you don’t waste time filtering through application after application.
- Recruit. Take some time to look through some social media profiles, particularly those that are job-focused like ZipRecruiter, where job seekers can create an online portfolio and resume. If you see some good employees, ask them to apply. Ask current employees to share the post on their social networks too, and consider giving employees an incentive to provide referrals.
- Review and screen applicants. You’ll need to review the applicants you have, narrow them down, and then do a deep dive into their background. For small businesses, the person managing this process could be the business owner, while others might have hiring managers.
- Set up an interview and make a selection. Next, you’ll call in the best job candidates, work through an interview process, and choose the best person for the job.
Where can good candidates be found?
In the digital age, most candidates are looking on job boards or using job search engines.
Job search engines are convenient. You can post jobs right from your office. This also means that applicants can respond quickly. Which job search engines should you try? There are many of them, like ZipRecruiter. Some people use Craigslist, even though it’s more of a simplistic tool, it can still help you hire employees.
To start, check out these options:
When it comes to hiring websites, ZipRecruiter is rated #1 in the U.S. Eighty percent of employers posting job openings on this platform get a quality candidate for the role within 24 hours. The best part is that they offer you the best candidates based on your job post requirements.
Benefits of using ZipRecruiter to recruit employees include:
- Sending your listing to top sites with one click: Their customizable templates make it easy to write your job description and share it with one click. In an instant, the ad will be on more than 100 top job sites.
- Get instantly matched: ZipRecruiters’ powerful match technology scans thousands of resumes to find candidates with the right skills, education, and experience for your job, then actively invites them to apply.
- Receive great candidates: Their smart, easy-to-use dashboard helps you sort, review, and rate your candidates to streamline the search and narrow down potential candidates.
Indeed is another popular job-finding site. It started as a no-cost search engine that would crawl through every website on the internet to index all available jobs, and it now receives over 180 million unique visitors per month.
Indeed has amassed an impressive resume database with many browsing opportunities for those seeking employment or looking to advance their careers by moving up into management positions within one’s own company.
Perks of this site include:
- Free job posting: Post your ad for free. It’s one of the biggest benefits to the site.
- Large-scale hiring: Need more than one employee? Indeed can help. The site offers a range of services to help companies fill dozens of open positions at a time.
- Sponsored posting: As an employer, it’s obvious you want to attract more qualified applicants or candidates to your job posting. Through sponsored posting, Indeed gives you a chance to do exactly that because sponsored job posts appear above or below the free job postings. The best part is that you only pay Indeed if prospective employees click your job post.
Snagajob is a great job search site for anyone who wants to find or post hourly work. With 60 million registered users in the U.S., there are plenty of qualified candidates for you to choose from. Typical positions include retail, hotel industry, and restaurant jobs with wages starting at $10-$20 an hour. Snagajob claims to be the best site for hourly jobs in America.
Posting your new new job on this site comes with these benefits:
- Easy to post: Snagajob makes it easy for employers to post jobs on their website. The process is straightforward and doesn’t involve many formalities, which is a bonus for time-strapped owners.
- Ease of adding changing ads: Snagajob gives you a chance to incorporate any edits to your job posts easily. The edits will be visible to applicants immediately after you are done updating your job post.
- Storage for documentation: Not many job search engines can offer you this benefit, but Snagajob offers storage for all of your hiring documentation. It’s certainly easier than printing and filing documents as you hunt for the right candidates.
What makes a quality candidate?
Potential employees have a positive attitude and can provide value to the company. More specifically, the best employees will tick these boxes:
- Has the necessary skills and education needed
- Experience in the field
- Strong references are listed on the resume
- Enjoys working on a team
- Willingness to learn
- Great communication
- Fits within the company culture
They should be able to do their job well, show up on time for work, and follow instructions from others, but they also need to care about what they’re doing. Hiring quality candidates is not always easy. While some people come with experience or qualifications in certain areas, others will need training before being put on a job. You’ll need to weigh the pros and cons.
FAQs about hiring a new employee
How do I post a job on job search engines?
Post a job listing with detailed requirements, including what you would like to see in an applicant. Keep your postings up-to-date and repost or remove as needed.
Consider posting your ad on sites like ZipRecruiter, where the ad is shared with other sites and will get a lot of attention.
How do I know if an applicant is qualified for the job?
You’ll need to review their resume and look at their education, past employment, and skill set. They might be strong in some areas and weak in others. You’ll need to take everything into consideration.
If a person does not meet your qualifications it doesn’t mean that he or she is unqualified, but he or she might not be the right candidate for your company.
What if someone lacks experience in the industry?
You will likely get applications from people who don’t have any experience in the industry. You have to decide how big of a factor that is. If you’re hiring for an entry-level position, you might be able to train the new employee. If the position is for a higher-tiered job, lack of experience can be a serious problem.