Intercom is an innovative, cloud-based help desk platform built and launched in 2011 to help sales, marketing, and support teams communicate with customers. It’s a powerful solution complete with a suite of integrated products that empower users to acquire, engage, and retain customers at scale. It leverages behavioral targeting and user intelligence to enable small and midsized businesses to better connect with customers and expand operations faster through seamless customer relationships.
We might receive compensation from the companies whose products we review. We are independently owned and the opinions here are our own.
Intercom is one of the best customer support solutions architected to streamline targeted communication with prospects and customers by email, inside the web, on websites, and mobile apps. It comes standard with three uniquely designed messaging-first modules (Messages, Articles, and Inbox) that when combined, create a comprehensive platform that speeds up growth across the entire customer journey.
Check out our roundup of the Best Customer Service Software
Who Intercom is best for
Intercom is a robust customer support platform designed for small and mid-sized businesses that are looking to onboard & engage customers, capture & convert leads, or support & retain existing customers.
It has an inbox to handle all customer inquiries, a knowledge base (Article Module) for self-service support, and a messaging platform to send personalized messages and notifications. Overall, the solution enables businesses to deliver remarkable service and capture new leads and helps them to better understand the effectiveness of their service, as well as how to enhance efficiency.
Intercom offers a flexible pricing structure with four distinct plans with varying levels of features.
The price you pay depends on your goal(s). For example, there is an all-inclusive tier (All of Intercom) for businesses that want to acquire, engage, and support customers, simultaneously.
- Starter – This plan is perfect for companies looking to chat with prospects and customers. The plan is priced at $38/month, and offers features like manage chat & email conversations, create automated welcome messages, and manage customer profiles.
- Essential – This plan is ideally suited for companies looking to manage conversations collaboratively. It clocks in at $87/month, and includes all the features from the Starter Plan, as well as the ability to send targeted messages and handle omnichannel conversations.
- Pro – The Pro Plan was designed for companies that are looking to automate and optimize communication workflows. The plan is priced at $153/month, and includes all features in the Essential Plan, plus customizable workflows, create multichannel campaigns, and control access to the messenger.
- Premium – This is a comprehensive toolkit for companies that are looking to scale and grow. Prices are only available on a custom quote basis. Premium Plans include all the features of the Pro Plan, plus set & track SLAs, convert target prospects, and use custom bots to boost engagement.
Businesses that are only interested in engaging customers can pick up the Essential Plan for $49 per month or the Pro Plan for $75 per month.
Intercom customer support
If you run into problems or want to know something about Intercom, help is available via telephone, Live Chat, and email. There’s also a Help Center equipped with a library of documents that contain answers to product-related questions, and advice from the Intercom support team.
- Powerful integrations with popular business applications
- Compelling Live Chat capability
- Flexible pricing
- Ease of support
- Free trials are available
- Cannot merge duplicate conversations
- Weak segment filtering
- Overall Rating: 3.9
- Features: 4
- Price: 3.9
- Ease Of Use: 3.9
- Customer Service: 3.8