Payroll services help by using software and sometimes outside teams to make sure your small business pays employees accurately, manages tax withholdings legally, and handles deductions for things like benefits and retirements savings properly.
ADP Run overview
ADP offer a series of payroll service packages under the ‘Run’ brand. ADP Run is a high-end payroll service with a range of advanced features that some small businesses may find useful. As ADP have other products, if you’re already familiar with the ADP interface you may find their payroll service easy to use and integrate into your small business.
Check out our roundup of Best Payroll Services for Small Business
ADP Run features
The different ADP payroll packages all offer access to functional payroll software. The more costly the package, the more features it tends to include.
ADP offers payroll and HR solutions for businesses of a range of sizes, but this review will focus on their packages for small businesses. ADP defines a small business as one with 1 to 49 employees.
While ADPs different packages contain different combinations of features, they all offer the following:
- A fast running payroll system that takes only a few clicks to operate
- Automatic calculation, deduction, and paying for taxes
- 24/7 access to support from experienced payroll professionals
- Done-for-you annual and quarterly reporting
- Integration of time tracking with payroll
- Easy online access from a mobile device or desktop
While ADP doesn’t have the best reputation for customer service, our reviewers had no problems accessing support. Unlike certain other payroll companies, it’s comparatively easy to get hold of someone and their contact details are easy to locate.
We found the user interface reasonably attractive, although it feels corporate compared to some other online payroll software – such as Gusto – who provide a more exciting user experience.
ADP Run pricing and packages
ADPs payroll services come in four different types:
- Essential Payroll
- Enhanced Payroll
- Complete Payroll and HR Plus
- HR Pro Payroll and HR
Let’s take a look at each of these packages from the perspective of small businesses and see the prices and features of each.
1. ADP Essential Payroll
The Essential Payroll package from ADP is suitable for startups and other small businesses looking for a simple payroll system and don’t need too many extra features.
The payroll-based features included in ADP Essential Payroll are:
- The ability to run payroll online, over the phone, or using the app
- Direct deposit to pay employees
- Payroll delivery
- The ability to view, access, and customize payroll reports online
- A general ledger with easy data exporting
- New hire reporting
Essential Payroll also helps somewhat with tax and human resources, by offering W-2 and 1099 creation and filing, and general tax calculation and filing with a guarantee that ADP will pay fines or penalties resulting from any errors that they make.
Pricing for ADP packages is based on a number of factors that will vary from business to business. ADP will consider your business’ credit rating, risk profile and health benefits history when creating a custom quote specific to your business.
However, there’s no doubt that ADP Essential Payroll is among the most expensive options available, which reflects ADP’s position as the go-to payroll provider in the minds of many consumers.
2. ADP Enhanced Payroll
Enhanced payroll includes all of the features included with Essential Payroll, plus:
- Secure check signing and sending
- A prepaid debit card you can use to pay your employees
- Enrollment in ADP’s Labor Law Poster Compliance Update Service
- Management of state unemployment insurance
- Garnishment payment services
- HR informational newsletters
3. ADP Complete Payroll and HR Plus
ADP Complete Payroll is arguably ADPs most popular payroll service and includes all of the above features, plus:
- The ability to use ZipRecruiter for job postings
- An employee handbook wizard
- An HR Helpdesk
- New hire onboarding
- Background checks
- A job description wizard
- HR forms and documents
- HR training and toolkits
- An HR compliance database and alerts
- Secure document vault
- HR tracking
- Alerts and notifications
4. HR Pro Payroll and HR
This package is ADP’s most expensive. It includes all of the above features, plus:
- Enhanced employee handbook support
- Enhanced HR HelpDesk support
- Access to an employee discount program
- Work-life employee assistance programs
- A variety of training programs in several key areas of HR to support a positive and productive work environment
- Legal assistance from LegalShield
Alternatives to ADP Run
ADP isn’t cheap, but it works well and comes with a lot of support and performance guarantees. However, you may notice that ADP charges for features and services that other payroll services cover in their base price.
- For example, while Gusto doesn’t ask for a setup fee, ADP charges $25.
- Many small businesses will be able to afford small extra costs like this, but if you have a more restrictive budget you may want to consider services like Gusto, Paycor, or Patriot Software.
Should small businesses use ADP Run?
ADP offers a series of payroll service packages under the ‘Run’ brand. ADP Run is a high-end payroll service with a range of advanced features that some small businesses may find useful. ADP has other products, so if you’re already familiar with the ADP interface you may find their payroll service easy to use and integrate into your small business.
There’s nothing wrong with charging premium fees for a premium service, and ADP has a solid reputation. It’s established itself as the dominant force in payroll services for a reason. However, considering the cost, we recommend ADP’s payroll service to those small businesses already using ADP’s other HR offerings, are looking to scale rapidly, and have budgets that can justify the expense.