Quickbase is a powerful digital tool for businesses seeking customized ways to improve their workflow, collaboration, and productivity. It’s offered as a Software as a Service (SaaS) product, on a subscription basis. It offers a simple way to develop custom apps and solutions for the unique needs of your business, with infinite customization options. It does not require coding skills, which allows everyday citizens to use it.
Quickbase is formerly a product of Intuit, maker of the popular Quickbooks line of software. Today, Quickbase is a standalone company that’s used by thousands of small businesses and Fortune 500 firms alike. It’s a simple, low-cost to build and implement databases and custom solutions for the way you work.
The Quick Base application development platform enables users to take advantage of wizard-based app-building to quickly create custom apps. Citizen developers can harness the power of the program to develop apps with no coding required. A relatively simple, form-based interface can be used for workflow automation – again, with little or no coding required.
How Quickbase is different
No coding required
Quickbase is a low-code application platform, which means most tasks require little to no coding experience and changes to customize systems can be made very quickly. You don’t need to hire a developer to create custom solutions – many employees will be able to use Quickbase to create and utilize custom workplace solutions.
Quickbase can turn a months-long development project into something that can be handled in a few days. Application developers, in particular, can breeze through complex projects with ease – and solo IT developers can mimic the performance of a larger team, thanks to improved productivity and speed.
Dozens of use cases
Unlike many purpose-built applications and software solutions, the Quickbase website application development platform can be adapted to do just about any task. The most popular use cases are sales management/CRM, process improvement, human resources management, field services, project and training management, and supply chain management. Likewise, there are useful applications for Quickbase for nearly any industry, including legal, real estate, healthcare, tech, manufacturing, and more.
Comprehensive integration platform
Most modern companies use dozens of applications and systems in their day-to-day operations. A company might use Gmail and Slack for communications, Excel for databases, Salesforce for sales management, Quickbooks for accounting, and ZenDesk for customer support. With Quickbase, all of these systems – and many more – can be integrated together in real-time. Quickbase Pipelines allows businesses to streamline workflows and monitor progress all in one place.
For many tasks, Quickbase has a drag-and-drop builder, otherwise known as what you see is what you get (WYSIWYG) builder. This tool allows people with zero coding or development experience to implement custom solutions – and makes it much easier for actual developers to streamline processes. There are also prebuilt apps and templates to use.
Enterprise-level security and reliability
Quickbase is a vital tool for many of the world’s largest companies. As such, it offers enterprise-level reliability and security features. Powerful administrative controls allow firms to ensure compliance with IT policies by customizing user roles and permissions. Advanced data encryption keeps sensitive data secure, and Quickbase has achieved regulatory compliance certifications including HIPAA, DFARS, and SOC2.
Who Quickbase is best for
- Firms seeking operational agility – Quickbase has “Operational Agility” as one of its core driving values. It seeks to help organizations stay nimble in an increasingly competitive business world. Because Quickbase is so versatile and integrates with an ever-growing list of third-party applications, its uses are nearly endless. Most importantly, it’s quick, allowing firms to adapt operations at a moment’s notice.
- Firms with limited developers – Developers are in high demand, making it difficult for many businesses to keep a fully staffed team. Fortunately, a tool like Quickbase can empower a single developer to achieve a similar level of output to a full team. Plus, Quickbase can even be used by employees and teams with little to no development experience.
- Firms seeking an all-in-one solution – Quickbase is a bit difficult to define, simply because it can do so much. For companies looking for an all-in-one solution for a CRM, project management tool, supply chain management system, human resources database, and more, Quickbase can offer an innovative solution.
Pros and cons of Quickbase
Before choosing a platform, it is wise to consider both the advantages and disadvantages. Here are some key things to consider with Quickbase.
- Free 30-day trial available
- Personalized demo available
- Powerful features with user-friendly operation
- No coding skills required for most tasks
- Easily automate business processes
- Low code platform is powerful but doesn’t require coding knowledge
- Mobile app for iOS and Android
- Save time by automating manual tasks
- Improve collaboration with teams
- Easily centralize scattered information
- Build custom applications for your business
- Solid third-party integrations
- Guided tutorial courses to get started
- Extensive online knowledge base
- Pricing is not listed publicly; you must contact sales for a custom quote
- User interface (UI) is somewhat dated
- Limited customer support (email only for most customers)
Quickbase has nearly infinite use cases and features. It’s incredibly customizable, which makes putting together a list of “features” rather difficult. Here are just a few of the things you can do with this platform:
- Centralize information from scattered sources
- Collect, track, share and analyze data
- Automate manual tasks
- Monitor important metrics
- Collaborate with diverse teams
- Plan and manage work
- Build databases for customers, employees, and leads
- Collaborate with IT and other departments for innovative solutions
Some of the key features that Quickbase promotes include:
- Low-code development – Enables teams to continuously improve on processes and systems through a nimble, versatile platform. Complex business applications can be developed quickly, and changed in a matter of hours, to adapt to changing business environments and needs. The platform aims to reduce IT complexity and costs while improving the speed and agility of key business systems.
- Integration & workflow orchestration – Quickbase Pipelines enables firms to integrate systems in real-time, cutting down on complexity and cost. Automated workflows can be orchestrated using simple business logic, within one intuitive platform. With hundreds of compatible apps and services, integrations are a breeze and allow companies to visually organize workflows in one place.
- Continuous deployment – Changes can be rolled out in minutes, with no downtime or lengthy updates. Tweaks to apps or data can be made without taking the application offline.
Quickbase does not have set pricing plans. Instead, businesses must contact the company to receive a customized quote. Pricing depends on the size of your business, the number of employees who will be using the software, and the specific features you want. Pricing starts at $30 per user per month but varies depending on several factors.
Although set pricing is not available, Quickbase does have three different plans listed on its website, offering different features. Here is an overview of the available options.
Premier – A great starting point for teams
- Supports up to 50 custom business apps
- Workflow automation
- Data & app integration
- Mobile-ready applications
Platform – For businesses that need advanced security & controls
- Up to 100 customizable business apps
- All features included in the previous plan
- Integrate with Identity and Access Management (IAM) systems
- Audit logs
- Premium support and Service Level Agreement (SLA)
- Mobile offline applications
Enterprise – For large enterprises with unique needs
- Custom-built to suit individual business needs
- Flexible annual or multi-year licensing
A variety of add-ons are also available to expand the functionality of Quickbase.
Pricing is typically billed monthly, although Enterprise level plans have annual and multi-year licensing requirements. All Quickbase subscribers can also save money by paying for a full year upfront; savings average 16% compared to the monthly pricing.
There is also a free 30-day trial available for some plans, so companies can test out the software for a full month before incurring costs.
Because there are no set pricing levels, it is difficult to compare Quickbase pricing to other competing services. The service is primarily marketed towards midsize to large businesses with larger teams hoping to collaborate.
Quickbase customer service
Quickbase offers good customer service. It is primarily available via email and secure online messaging. Enterprise-level customers may have access to phone support, as well.
Customer ratings for Quickbase are overall quite positive on sites like TrustRadius, the Better Business Bureau (BBB), G2, and others.
Quickbase also offers an extensive online learning library and knowledge base to help users learn about the Quickbase platform, and how to troubleshoot issues. This is a valuable resource, as Quickbooks is a software that is both simple to get started and difficult to master.
There is also the Quickbase Community forums, which is a great place for Quickbase users to discuss features and ask for help from the community. The forums are quite active, with dozens of posts every day, so it’s easy to get your questions answered or simply browse through to get ideas for how other firms are using Quickbase.